The BBC Performing Groups are offering free coaching from our professional musicians for 10-18 year olds across the UK.
Who is the scheme for?
If you work with young musicians aged 10-18 years old and you think our musicians can improve their musical experience and performance skills, we want to hear from you. We are inviting expressions of interest from schools and organisations in England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland including Ten Pieces Champions, Music Hubs, Music Services, NI Education and Library Boards, or any other organisation working with young musicians.
What we can offer you?
The BBC employs over 400 musicians in its Performing Groups and a further 80 in our partner group in Northern Ireland, Ulster Orchestra. Beyond world-class performers we also have music educators, leaders and conductors with a range of skills and talent. Through this scheme our musicians will share their knowledge and expertise with aspiring young performers nationwide.
This is a way to bring something new and special to your music making. Tell us what you want to achieve and our professional musicians will help you on your musical journey.
Through the scheme we can offer:
- Instrumental coaching from professional orchestral musicians suitable for school, county or youth ensembles.
- Vocal coaching from members of the BBC Singers, the BBC’s professional choir, suitable for school, county or youth choirs
- Whether you are working with singers or instrumentalists we can include support for music leaders and conductors to be part of these projects
There are free multi-ability arrangements of Ten Pieces I and II repertoire available using the following links:
We encourage you to use these resources but our musicians can support you if you’re working on other repertoire. Please note the offer will be subject to scheduling and funding restrictions.
How to apply
Please download and complete the Expressions of Interest Form and submit to firstname.lastname@example.org by Monday 28 November 2016 with ‘BBC Ten Pieces Coaching Scheme Form’ in the subject line. If you're having trouble downloading the pdf then email us and we will send you the form as a word document. Please read the eligibility criteria before completing. The form must be completed by the organisation/school undertaking the musical activity.
- The activity takes place between February and July 2017
- The activity involves young people aged 10-18 years old (however provision may be offered to groups with wider age ranges that also include this age group)
- Groups must be able to provide appropriate adult supervision for young people throughout the activity (BBC musicians and staff must not be placed in a position of responsibility for any young people and therefore are not subject to disclosures through DBS or Disclosure Scotland or Access NI)
In our selection we will consider the following:
- A geographical spread of opportunity across the UK
- Variety of activity and repertoire delivered across the UK
- How much access to professional ensembles you currently have
- Your anticipated impact and legacy of the visit from BBC musicians
Expressions of interest will be reviewed and selected by:
- Learning Managers from the BBC Performing Groups
- BBC Ten Pieces Partnerships Coordinator
- Representatives from Arts Council Wales, Arts Council England, Arts Council Northern Ireland and Creative Scotland
Selected groups will be notified before the end of the Autumn term.