Grants of £30,001 to £150,000 (or up to £200,000 in rare circumstances and with permission from the Youth Music team) are available and the fund is designed to support:
- Music-making and music-making related activities for children and young people (aged 0-25) facing barriers,
- Workforce and organisational development to promote a relevant, diverse, and inclusive music offer for all children and young people.
Fund B is a two-stage process. The first stage is a short expression of interest form. Around 60-70% of applicants will then be invited to complete a full application form, where they will be asked to provide more detailed information about their proposed programme
You can request between £30,001 and £150,000. In rare circumstances, we may award grants of between £150,001 and £200,000 for cross-regional or national strategic programmes. If you want to apply for more than £150,000 then you must contact Youth Music to discuss your proposal at least six weeks before the Expression of Interest deadline.
We only make a small number of Fund B grant awards over £100,000 each year. You should take this into account when considering how much funding to apply for, as there is more competition for requests of this size.
Youth Music may invite you to apply for a reduced request amount between the Expression of Interest and Application stage. If your application is successful Youth Music may award you less than you requested.
Your programme should last between 18 and 48 months. The minimum amount of time a programme should run depends on the amount of money you are applying for:
- Grant requests between £30,001 and £100,000: 18 months or more
- Grant requests between £100,001 and £150,000: 24 months or more
- Grant Requests between £150,001 and £200,000: 36 months or more
Fund B is a 2-stage process, an Expression of Interest form followed by a full application.
Expression of Interest deadline: Friday 02 October 2020
Notification of decision: Friday 06 November 2020
Full application deadline: Monday 07 December 2020
Notification of decision: Friday 12 February 2020
Expression of Interest deadline: 18 December 2020
Notification of decision: Friday 19 February 2021
Full application deadline: Monday 22 March 2021
Notification of decision: Friday 28 May 2021
Expression of Interest deadline: Friday 07 May 2021
Notification of decision: Friday 11 June 2021
Full application deadline: Friday 09 July 2021
Notification of decision: Friday 01 October 2021
Expression of Interest deadline: Friday 01 October 2021
Notification of decision: Friday 05 November 2021
Full application deadline: Monday 06 December 2021
Notification of decision: Friday 18 February 2022
If you can answer yes to all of the following points, then your programme meets the Fund B criteria. The Fund B guidance document provides more detailed information about each of these critiera.
- UK-based and has a signed governing document
- Has been legally constituted and providing activity for one year and has a set of accounts
- Has the relevant insurances in place (including employers’ and public liability) and complies with all relevant statutory legislation
- Is committed to improving equality, diversity and inclusion in the organisation (this includes youth voice and participation) and has an equality, diversity and inclusion policy that is regularly reflected on and updated
- Reflects on quality, engagement and outcomes to improve ways of working
- Is open to sharing with others and being part of Youth Music’s wider networks
- Doesn’t hold an existing Fund C grant
- Existing grantholders only – is up to date on reporting requirements
- Offers a music-related programme for children or young people facing barriers in England
- Meets one or more of Youth Music's priority areas
- Has partner organisations to add value to the work
- Includes workforce development activities
- Is co-designed by children/young people and has a young person on the team (paid or volunteer)
- Doesn’t include ineligible activities
- For a school-based programme and or from a Music Education Hub lead organisation – meets the additional requirements
- Meets the budget criteria
For Fund B we will not fund;
- Individuals and sole traders
- Profit making programmes
- Activities that promote party political or religious beliefs
- Activities that other statutory bodies would be expected to fund
- GCSE Music or A Level Music
Essential Guidance and Documents
Before completing your application, please read all the guidance carefully. You can also download Expression of Interest and applicaition form templates which are helpful to use prior to transferring information to the grants portal.