by Author anita holford

Published on

You are here:

Sharing practice online – simple ways to get started

Welcome: I’m really glad you’ve decided to check out the first post of the Musical Inclusion group.

For people who haven’t already received an introductory email from me, you can read a bit more about who I am and why I’m involved in this group below. 

Getting better at what you do – by sharing practice and networking online

As you’ll know, sharing practice within the Musical Inclusion community and beyond (eg with others working as part of hubs, or in organisations working with children in challenging circumstances) is an important part of the Musical Inclusion programme.

If you’ve been wondering how to start, following are some simple and quick first steps (and the first four tasks will only take you around half an hour) but before you do that, would you help by filling in a really quick survey about social media and practice sharing? It will help us to make sure we support you in the right ways to share practice online.

Learn more – three useful links to start you off 

1. Getting started on the Youth Music Network (video) 2. Sharing your expertise and ideas on the Youth Music Network (video) 3. Sharing practice – what’s in it for you (short blog)

Get started – three simple things to do

4. Register & set up your profile here (create a personal profile, & if appropriate an organisation profile, and link them) 5. In the search field on the front page, type in a topic that interests you, read someone’s blog or other item on the topic, and comment  6. Ask a question or start a discussion in this Musical Inclusion Group.

The Youth Music Communications Team are here to help

Toby, Sophie and Rosi manage the Youth Music Network.  If you'd like advice on how to best to use the Network to share your practice; if you need promotional support for an event; or you have an idea for how the Network could be improved, get in touch via their profiles or at network@youthmusic.org.uk.

Other things you can do

Share an existing Youth Music Network blog, resource pack, practice write-up or other material on Facebook or Twitter (use the #musicalinclusion hashtag).

Contribute a blog or other material yourself on the Youth Music Network, and let us know in the Musical Inclusion group.

Help and support

If you get stuck, check out the technical support page where there’s lots of useful information and links, or ‘ask Sophie’ on the technical support group.

About this Musical Inclusion group and who’s behind it

This Musical Inclusion group is for everyone who’s involved in Youth Music’s Musical Inclusion programme – from those who are co-ordinating the partners in each area; to those delivering work in cold spots and breakthrough areas, from individual musicians to the organisations that have contracted them as part of this programme/module.

My name’s Anita Holford – some of you may already know me – and I’ll be working as part of the Musical Inclusion Evaluation and Networking team, led by Sound Sense. The team includes: Kathryn Deane of Sound Sense, Rob Hunter, Phil Mullen and Tamsin Cox of DHA Communications.

My role is Social Media Editor, and I’ll be working for a few hours a week over the next year to:

•    help you as a community to share and strengthen what you’re doing and learning •    find out what are the most effective ways for you to share practice and network online •    encourage and help you to make use of the Youth Music Network and to share practice •    generate content, debate and discussions •    signpost you to useful content, tools, and communications channels

All of this will of course be guided by you, and focus on ways that are most appropriate and helpful to you.

Could you be a practice-sharing champion? – perhaps writing a blog to let others know why you do this and what benefits you feel you gain? If you’re already sharing your practice online, get in touch by commenting below.