Evaluation Scales: This resource contains a collection of evaluation scales designed to help you measure progress towards musical, personal, social and workforce outcomes.
Common evaluation challenges: This resource compiles a list of common issues encountered in evaluation and frequently asked questions, alongside some responses or ways around them that you might find helpful.
Quantitative data analysis: This resource contains guidance on how to get the best out of your quantitative data. It explores how to calculate averages, recognise trends, and draw conclusions about what the data is telling you.
Qualitative data analysis: This resource contains guidance on how to get the best out of your qualitative data. It explores how to organise your qualitative data, identify commonly occurring themes, and draw conclusions about what the data is telling you.
Sample sizes: This resource contains information on how to capture proportionate and representative feedback from your participants. It explores how to calculate appropriate samples sizes to ensure a range of viewpoints in your data.
Different evaluation techniques: This resource lists interesting techniques of evaluation that Youth Music funded organisations use when they are working with different groups of participants.
Glossary of Key Terms
- activity - work carried out by a project to produce its outputs and achieve its overall aim and intended outcomes
- aim - overall reason for a project and the long-term difference it is intended to make (also called mission)
- baseline - data that shows what a situation is like before a project intervenes
- data - any information collected
- evaluation - using monitoring data to understand the effectiveness of a project
- evidence - data that can be used to prove or disprove a claim
- impact - broader or longer-term change that happens as a result of a project’s activities, outputs, and outcomes
- indicator - specific, observable phenomenon that can be measured or assessed to demonstrate progress toward a goal; an outcome indicator shows progress toward an intended outcome
- mission - same as aim
- monitoring - collecting data in a systematic way to check progress against a project’s intended outcomes
- outcome - change in skills, knowledge, or behaviour that happens as a result of a project’s activities and outputs; these changes are typically short- to medium-term and support long-term progress toward a project’s overall aim
- output - product or service resulting from project activities and delivered as part of that project
- planning triangle - tool for planning and visualising a project’s overall aim, intended outcomes, activities and need
- qualitative - relating to words
- quantitative - relating to numbers
- data collection tool - record of an indicator that can be used to measure or assess progress toward a goal; data collected in relation to an indicator
- triangulation - process of verifying findings by combining multiple perspectives and methods